Durston's new disc cutters have been carefully manufactured with a new innovative design. This metric graded set has 8 smaller OVAL punches from 8mm x 6mm to 18mm x 16mm. Durston also has a 6 piece oval disc cutting set with larger oval punches, see below.
The cutting edges of the individual punches are now angled shear style for a more effective cutting action. Use with a rawhide mallet, a brass mallet or for best results and longest tool life, in a hydraulic press. Durston disc cutters are made for jewelers and are recommended for cutting non-ferrous jewelry metals like copper, gold, silver, brass and nickel silver up to 18 gauge thick (up to 8 gauge thick if used with a hydraulic press).Durston Small Oval disc cutter set of 8 also includes a custom stamping pad, shims, cutting lubricant and a hex key.Punch Sizes:
8mm x 6mm (5/16" x 1/4")
10mm x 8mm (3/8" x 5/16")
12mm x 10mm (1/2" x 3/8")
14mm x 10mm (9/16" x 3/8")
16mm x 12mm (5/8" x 1/2")
16mm x 14mm (5/8" x 9/16")
18mm x 13mm (3/4" x 1/2")
18mm x 16mm (3/4" x 5/8")*inch sizes given are closest approximates to the exact millimeter sizes This is a metric based set. Metric sizes are exact.
Use with 1 or 2 pound brass hammers, good size mallets, or for the longest service life, with a hydraulic press. Try using disc cutters on top of a suitable rubber base to help cushion the blow transferred to the workbench.How to use a disk cutter:
- Use a disk cutter on top of a rubber pad for support.
- Use a cutting lubricant, like Stay Sharp, to lubricate the cutting edges of the punch.
- Use a suitable mallet, never a nail driving hammer. We suggest brass mallets.
- Always support the opposite side of the cutter with a sheet of the same diameter metal that you are cutting. This will help keep the upper and lower parts of the disk cutter in alignment and help minimize material sticking in the disk cutter.
- Do not exceed the maximum thickness recommended for your disk cutter.
- Only cut soft non-ferrous metals like brass, copper, silver and gold.
- Make sure your cutting edges are down.
- To prevent rust, keep your disk cutter lubricated between use and store in a dry location
- We recommend to use this with a 95 duo meter urethane pad to extend the life of the cutters
<! -- Prop 65 Warning Options -->